Sunday, February 21, 2010

Perfection--a myth? Maybe not.

“Perfection consists not in doing extraordinary things, but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.”-- Angelique Arnauld

Writing is just such an ordinary task. And although I seek that perfection (which I'm not sure even exists) in doing it extraordinarily well, it takes more work, exertion, time, pain, sweat, tears and blood than I ever imagined. My ideas are shape-shifting ghosts that love to play tricks on me. They play hide-and-seek; just when I think I have finally found that blasted illusive thought, it turns into smoke between my fingers. Nothing.

A constant search for a muse is exhausting and, at times, feels useless. Do I write fairy tales? Gore? Fiction? Non-fiction. Maybe that's the trouble with writing; the possibilities are endless. But then, that's the surprising joy in writing too; you never know how the story will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment